Dry eye treatment is necessary when your eyes are struggling with normal drainage, evaporation or production of tears. Tears are moved across the eye when you blink to lubricate the front surface of your eye, wash away debris, protect against infection and to help stabilize vision. When your eye is incapable of making tears naturally, sometimes you need a little help.
Dry Eye Treatment Options
If you are suffering from Dry Eye Symptoms, contact our Optical Master’s office in Denver today to make an appointment. Treatment for dry eyes are not only available to, they are necessary to prevent injury to your cornea or other complications. The following treatment options are recommended for people suffering from Dry Eye:
- Artificial Tears. This is the primary treatment for dry eye and can be obtained over-the-counter. They come in both ointment and drop forms.
- Restasis. The FDA approved the prescription eye drop Restasis for the treatment of chronic dry eye. Your eyes increase their own tear production with regular use of the product.
- Lipiflow. Medical device that utilizes heat and pressure on the eyelids to unblock clogged glands.
- Temporary Punctal Occlusion. A procedure that creates an adequate supply of tears by use of a dissolving plug inserted into the tear drain of the lower eyelid.
- Testosterone cream. Research from Harvard medical school linked low testosterone in the eyelids oil glands to to decreased tear flow.
- Other medications and nutrition. Steroid eyedrops, can be used for short periods of time as an adjunct to other long-term measures. There is also growing evidence that by increasing your intake of fish oil and omega-3 via supplements or your diet you can help to treat your dry eye symptoms from the inside.
Your Optometrist will offer treatment advice. Failure to treat dry eye may result in complications such as damage to the cornea. We recommend that you have an eye test every two years, unless your Optometrist advises otherwise. Other common treatments for dry eye, apart from those listed above, include: increasing the humidity in your environment, working to blink regularly, drinking adequate water, and treating medical conditions and eliminating medications that could be causing your symptoms.
Call for a Consultation
Don’t postpone treatment of your dry eye symptoms. Permanent damage to the cornea of your eye can occur if your eye doesn’t have the lubrication it needs. We are here to help you with your symptoms. Located at two convenient Denver locations–King Soopers Shopping Center off of South Monaco Parkway in Denver and at the Brentwood Shopping Center on Federal Boulevard–Optical Masters can offer you top-rate eye care services and help you with your eye health goals.